Uwe Weierstall's research focuses on developing methods for structure determination of biomolecules with X-ray free electron laser (XFEL) sources. These X-ray sources produce very high intensity pulses of X-rays - compared to a regular 3rd generation synchrotron, the number of photons/second is larger by a factor of 10 billion and concentrated into a few femtoseconds. This increase in intensity allows structure determination from much smaller protein crystallites then the ones used in conventional protein crystallography and may even allow single particle structure analysis at high resolution from identical particles (e.g. viruses) where crystals cannot be grown. Professor Weierstall has been involved in XFEL science and the development of liquid jet sample delivery systems since the first XFEL experiments in 2008 at the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS).
- Ph.D. Physics, Institute of Applied Physics, University of T�bingen, Germany 1994
- Diplom in Physics, Institute of Applied Physics, University of T�bingen, Germany 1989
Serial Femtosecond crystallography, Single particle Imaging, Electron- and X-ray Diffraction, Scientific Instrument Design,
Patents (pending and granted):
Apparatus and methods for a gas dynamic virtual nozzle
Patent number: 9289787
Apparatus and Methods for Lipidic Cubic Phase (LCP) Injection for Membrane Protein Investigations
Publication number: 20160051995
Gas dynamic virtual nozzle for generation of microscopic droplet streams
Patent number: 8272576
SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR PROVIDING A MICRON-SCALE CONTINUOUS LIQUID JET
Publication number: 20140263693
Methods and Devices for Rapidly Forming Vitreous Ice-Jacketed Particle Droplets
Publication number: 20080283775
Methods and devices for molecular structure determination
Publication number: 20060262317
Recent Invited Talks
- Viscous Streams and other sample delivery methods at XFELs and Synchrotrons
Industry Affiliates talk at BioXFEL NSF site visit in Buffalo, NY June 2016
- XFEL sample delivery methods development. BioXFEL site visit, June 2015
- Microcrystal sample delivery for serial crystallography in a high viscosity medium. 16th International Conference on the Crystallization of Biological Macromolecules, Prague July 2016
- Sample Delivery methods for XFELs and Synchrotrons. American Vacuum Society meeting, Nashville, November 2016
- Serial Millisecond Crystallography with an LCP injector. CHESS Users Meeting, Cornell University, June 2015
- XFEL sample delivery methods developement. BioXFEL site visit, June 2015
- Sample injection methods for serial femtosecond crystallography. 1st SACLA Workshop on Femtosecond Crystallography, March 2015
- Serial Femtosecond crystallography with a Lipidic Cubic Phase Injector. 3rd BioXFEL conference, Puerto Rico, January 2015.
- Femtosecond Crystallography with a Lipidic Cubic Phase Injector. Ringberg Meeting of the Max Planck Society (Feb 2014).
- Serial Femtosecond Crystallography, ACA 2013, Honolulu Hawaii, 7/ 2013
- Serial Femtosecond Crystallography of Membrane Proteins with a lipidic cubic phase injector. ECM 2013, Warwick UK, 8/2013
- Liquid Jet injectors for X-ray lasers. Royal Society meeting - X-ray lasers in biology, London UK,10/2013
- Liquid Jets for Ultrafast Diffraction Experiments. Workshop on ultrafast electron sources for diffraction and microscopy applications, UCLA Los Angeles (Dec 2012).
- Serial X-ray Nanocrystallography at the LCLS. American Crystallographic Association Meeting 2012, Boston, MA (Jul 2012).
- X-ray Lasers for Structural and Dynamic Biology. ICFA Workshop on Future Light Sources, Jefferson Lab, Newport, VA (Mar 2012).
- Bio Imaging at the LCLS. Stanford Linear Accelerator Colloquium (Feb 2012).
- Ultrafast X-ray Diffraction at the LCLS. APS Four Corners Meeting Tucson (Oct 2011).
- Liquid injector sources for X-ray diffraction. LCLS Seminar (Aug 2011).
- Ultrafast X-ray Diffraction at the LCLS. Physics Colloquium at ASU (Apr 2011).
- Femtosecond diffractive imaging of single viruses and protein nanocrystals at the Linac Coherent Light Source. International Microscopy Conference (Sep 2010).
- Diffractive imaging and serial crystallography. XXI Congress of the International Union of Crystallography, Osaka, Japan (Aug 2008).
- Protein-doped droplet beams for laser-aligned serial crystallography. Meeting of the Microscopy Society of America (Aug 2006).
- Serial Crystallography with X-rays and Electrons. Ultrafast Science and LCLS Experiments Workshop (Oct 2004).
- Coherent X-ray diffractive imaging at the Advanced Light Source. Frontiers in Soft X-ray, VUV, and Infrared Research (Sep 2004).
- Coherent X-ray diffractive imaging at the Advanced Light Source. Workshop on Frontier Science using Soft X-rays at the APS (Aug 2004).
- Retrieval of Amplitude and Phase Contrast Images from Coherent Visible-Light Diffracted Intensities. Workshop on New Approaches to the Phase Problem for Non-Periodic Objects (May 2001).